• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

[Unpacking] [Big IMG] Found Series Test Tube Replacement for Ants

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dean_k - Posted October 17 2014 - 2:52 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationWaterown, Ontario, Canada

You can buy this kit from Amazon or by following this link. http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

FYI, I am not associated with byFormica in any way. I am just a random dude who has deep interests in ants.

Anyhow, I ordered this on 8th Oct and it arrived on 17th Oct. It was shipped from USA to Canada.

Below is what you will get if you get "value bundle".

IMG_2617_zps1d08bcc7.jpg

IMG_2621_zps3b31a86e.jpg

IMG_2620_zps620470b1.jpg

IMG_2619_zpsc38de85f.jpg

IMG_2624_zps8ee71497.jpg

IMG_2625_zps22cb3e5d.jpg

IMG_2626_zps0b496889.jpg

IMG_2627_zps22d68e84.jpg

IMG_2628_zps8b5de813.jpg

IMG_2629_zps04639f65.jpg

IMG_2631_zps42307367.jpg

IMG_2632_zps4299046c.jpg

The test tube replacement nest feels fairly heavy and sturdy. The nest as well as the tiny outworld come with rubber feet which I think is a nice touch. The nest isn't much bigger than your average test tube but it's just curved to perhaps give better comfort to ants.

I believe Drtrmiller said Blue 100 is the best diet for ants but also the least sweet. Green 600 being the sweetest but the least nutritious. I will start cooking Blue 100 and see how it goes. After determining which package my ants likes, I will be ordering additional packs from him.

On the last image, you see packs of what appears to be dirt particles. I think it is for the nest? I don't know. There is no explanation of what they are for. But my assumption is that they are for the nest or the outworld for ants to play with. Or maybe Drtrmiller can explain.

• Gregory2455 likes this

#2 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 17 2014 - 3:08 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Please, do not put "Big Images" into the title, this is not YUKU. :D

Other than that, nice! I will be watching this.

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 17 2014 - 3:12 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yeah, this software will resize your images automatically.

I think those different substrates are for putting in the nest.

#4 Offline drtrmiller - Posted October 17 2014 - 3:45 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I'll write something up for the materials kit to explain what each one is and how to use them.

Quickly, there is perlite, black sand, white sand, coconut fiber, vermiculite, and a gypsum stone (mix ratio 40:100 water to plaster).

Some species will drag the soils into the nest from the outworld to create chambers, place soil along the hydration channels to soak water into the nest, and plug the entrances so only one worker can get through a tiny hole.  Other species may work best if the material is placed in the nest itself, for them to remove only what they want.

I did manage to write separate instructions for the liquid feeder (pdf), but did so after this one shipped out.  

I'll post an update here when there's more to share.

Thanks for sharing :~)

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#5 Offline dean_k - Posted October 17 2014 - 4:04 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

I cooked Blue 100.

IMG_2635_zps6c651636.jpg

IMG_2636_zps1d88b908.jpg

So far, my ants are ignoring it. I will give it a night.

#6 Offline drtrmiller - Posted October 17 2014 - 4:08 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

What ants are you feeding?  If you can't get any ants to eat it, please file a report at www.byformica.com/feedback, so I can see how you prepared it and get info on the ants in question.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#7 Offline dean_k - Posted October 17 2014 - 4:13 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

It is Myrmica.

My journal : http://forum.formicu...olony-crystals/

#8 Offline drtrmiller - Posted October 17 2014 - 4:34 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

From looking at feedback submitted through the feedback form, I see that Myrmica may like sweet liquids, fruit slices, cooked meats, and live insects or freshly killed insects.

I took the time to read your journal, which was very helpful.  If they are slowing down to hibernate soon, their dietary preferences may change.

For now, this is what I'll recommend:

Continue feeding 1 cube fresh Formula product daily for 7 days.  Since you have a small colony, it may be difficult to observe ants feeding directly, but you may be able to see the larvae start to turn blue, or blue/green gasters in the workers when viewed in a certain light.

If you don't notice any of these things, and don't observe the ants feeding from the cube directly after a period of 7 days, then either they're slowing down to hibernate, they're not interested in this food, or both.

Edited by drtrmiller, October 17 2014 - 4:35 PM.

#9 Offline dean_k - Posted October 17 2014 - 4:38 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Yes, it is close to hibernating time for them. But they've shown strong interest in dead incests (bees). I am planning to put them in my fridge in November but there are a ton of eggs that won't make it through the hibernation which is why I am postponing.

P.S. I do not doubt your products. I've done enough reading that your product works.

And Crystals did mention that this specific ants responded to only Green 600 which, as you say, is the sweetest.

Edited by dean_k, October 17 2014 - 4:40 PM.

#10 Offline dean_k - Posted October 17 2014 - 10:31 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

I guess they do like Blue 100.

IMG_2648_zps3f43db03.jpg

I had to take this picture after midnight because I knew that was when they were out foraging. You only see one worker on it but there were three. The light scared them off. According to my observations, night is when they forage aggressively.

Edited by dean_k, October 17 2014 - 10:32 PM.

#11 Offline drtrmiller - Posted October 17 2014 - 11:07 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I'm glad you not only observed them feeding, but also recruiting to the food source.  This is great news for such a small colony.

If you have any issues, don't hesitate to use the form at www.byformica.com/feedback.  

I've also bookmarked this topic so I can be alerted to any news you post herein.

#12 Offline dean_k - Posted October 18 2014 - 8:18 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

A question and an update.

The instruction says to use all the content in a bag with 30ml of water, but seeing I have a tiny colony and want the food as fresh as possible, is it possible to use perhaps half of the powder and use 15ml of water to create food?

And the update is that they don't seem to be able to resist it. Even in the morning, I am seeing 3 foragers by the food.

IMG_2649_zps7ac5ccf1.jpg

Which is unusual since they tend to withdraw back to their nest during day time.

P.S. I ordered more Blue 100. The 6 pack.

Edited by dean_k, October 18 2014 - 8:20 AM.

#13 Offline drtrmiller - Posted October 18 2014 - 11:23 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Persistent foraging is a very good sign.  I alternate feeding Green 600 and Blue 100 to all my colonies, so the ants can attain their desired protein/carb ratio.

I don't recommend mixing either Blue 100 or Aqua 300 in less than the recommended amount, since the benefit of adding one, 1CC cube at once (the silicone mold yields 35, 1CC cubes), is that it will take longer to dry out than a smaller quantity.  Most ants I've observed generally seem to prefer the wetter product.  

Further, preparing less product will require you to add a bit more water to offset the amount lost through evaporation during cooking.  All these measurements complicate the preparation.

If the product is refrigerated, I don't think you'll have an issue storing it 1-2 months.  I can almost guarantee it won't mold or spoil if refrigerated at the proper temperature.  I've even frozen it before, with no ill effect.

I've had some liquid Green 600 in the fridge for a few months now, and I just used some last night and the ants loved it.

Keep in mind the reason I developed these synthetic diets and supplements was so antkeepers could spend more time crafting awesome outworlds or foraging areas for the ants to explore, and observing the ants in their formicarium, rather than worrying why the ants might not be eating the food provided, or, if they were eating, if they were getting adequate nutrition.

If you have any more questions or observations, don't hesitate to post them here.  If you see any Blue larvae over the next couple of days, I'd love to see that!

Edited by drtrmiller, October 18 2014 - 11:23 AM.

#14 Offline steelchair - Posted October 18 2014 - 3:38 PM

steelchair

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationMichigan

What is the shelf life on the powder before it is cooked?

#15 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 18 2014 - 3:45 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

~ One Year.

#16 Offline dean_k - Posted October 19 2014 - 7:39 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Just a minor update.

I've relocated one of my hibernating Lasius queen to the test tube replacement nest.

IMG_2651_zps90a2fb0a.jpg

I placed her at the entrance of the big hole and she seems to have moved toward the tightest place and she did that in my fridge. (4c) She's been there since Sep 25th. I plan to take her out on Dec 1st or Jan 1st.

As for the food, they seem to be eating it but I've seen no visual indication of them taking the food into the nest. None of the larvae has changed its color, either. I've replaced blue 100 wuth Aqua 300 now and will observe how it goes.

Edited by dean_k, October 19 2014 - 7:44 AM.

#17 Offline dean_k - Posted October 19 2014 - 6:39 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

I see more larvae turning green. I still see foragers eating Blue 100 but it seems they are feeding Aqua 300 to larvae.

Untitled3_zpsa6051433.png

#18 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 19 2014 - 6:42 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I forget, but I think Aqua 300 has the most protein out of the three.

#19 Offline dean_k - Posted October 19 2014 - 6:44 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Blue 100 has the most protein. Aqua 300 has much less but sweeter. I think this sp prefers something sweeter for larvae at least...? I thought they needed protein more than anything else.

Edited by dean_k, October 19 2014 - 6:45 PM.

#20 Offline drtrmiller - Posted October 19 2014 - 6:45 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I think Crystals reported issues feeding Aqua 300 to Myrmica.  If they're eating any of these diets or supplements, they're bound to do well.

And no, Greg.  Aqua 300 has 1:4 P:C, whereas Blue 100 has 1:2 P:C.  So Blue 100 has roughly twice the amount of protein than Aqua 300.

The studies that are out there showed no increase in ant mortality when fed a higher carb diet, but slowed brood production.  I really prefer my ants to grow more slowly so they don't outgrow their habitats as quickly :~)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users